All students of Westmead International School are required to undergo a specific number of hours of immersion into their respective fields of specialization. This industrial training is a requirement for the student’s successful completion of his/her course or program of study. The Industry-Academe linkage is a unique plan of educational enrichment designed to enhance a WIS graduate’s ability to merge into the real world of work and become a productive citizen of this country through the integration of intensive classroom study with planned and supervised experience in work situation outside the formal classroom environment.
The rationale of the IACEPO is to plan the on-the-job training program for each of the different courses offered by Westmead International School in collaboration with the different deans/program chairs, collect data for planning and development of timely and responsive on-the-job training experiences for students, establish strong linkages with the different industries/education institutions which can provide hands-on training to students of various programs, give integrated lectures and plant visits for students and provide appropriate feedback regarding OJT student’s performance. It also provides guidance and placement for training and prepares students for immersion into their respective industry assignments through a series of seminars/orientations prior to deployment.
In line with the school’s mission and vision, the Industry-Academe Cooperative Education Program aims for a truly responsive delivery of higher education through close integration and collaboration with its industry partners believed to have the technology, knowledge, and skills that can be easily transferred to future graduates for greater global and local competitiveness.
Goals / Objectives
The objectives of this activity are:
- To apply the knowledge gained from a particular field or discipline;
- Acquire generic skills in analyzing and solving problems;
- Develop and use ethical perspectives in complex situations;
- Explore career options and gain documented work experience;
- Develop competencies specific to a particular occupation, profession or organizational setting;
- Acquire skills and experiences needed for effective citizenship; and
- understand differences in cultures and environment.